Thursday, January 8, 2009

Samurai Showdown


I admit it.... i have a crazy wierd obsession with all things Japanese. If i could build a home..... i wouldnt.... i'd build an effing DOJO! too bad the closest i've gotten to that dream is planting a Japanese Maple in my front yard.... someday when my empire has grown i'll have my own dojo mark my words. What made this fetish resurface so freakin hardcore?? well last week i saw kill bill 2 on tv (i love those movies) and on it there's a part where this little girl wants to watch a movie called Shogun Assassin. I thought "what is this movie i've never heard of? why would a kid want to watch it? and that narration sounds really badass" and I was then sucked into a single-minded focus and spent the next few days tracking a copy down (not an easy task). I bought it, watched it, loved it, and then recieved confirmation that i was born in the wrong time period. Feudal Japan was a riot, top-knots, swords, ninjas, assassins, chopping limbs off people....... yeah if i volunteered to come down now i hate myself, i for sure could have been shogun. But seriously it was a crazy movie, easy to see why Quentin loved it. That being said i mentioned it to my pop and he suggested i watch The Seven Samurai (which is actually what inspired americans to rip it off and make the western The Magnificent Seven but don't get me started on westerns.... right now i'm in full Japanese mode) anyways i watched it and for a black'n'white with subtitles i was really impressed, it was a pretty good movie. Now i'm not wanting to run around with swords or anything nerdy like that but really, i'm obsessed with Japanese art, culture, architecture, landscaping, you name it... the Edo era Nippon had some seriously awesome style. I could care less about Kung Fu and Karate, but Bushido, Tao, and Zen are also pretty tempting offers. Watch the four clips here ummmmm awwwwwwwsome. Yeah i'm weird. So i guess the real question is: how long is this obsession going to last???? i've already been eyeballing new artwork/furniture for my future dojo......
SAYONARA SUCKAS!!!!

3 comments:

RubyVillain said...

Thanks for your opinions on my names! Actually I came here with the intent to point out that Roman wasn't on the list, but after reading your blog for a bit, I realized that it was YOUR addition to my list, lol.

And about your All Things Japanese... I'm totally impressed with the fact that you have The Great Wave up there. I have that piece of art up in my room, and even wrote a entry about it somewhere in the history of my blog. I love that painting.

Lord Stanley said...

Yeah, I'm sneaky like that, but the names I suggested are all pretty rad right??? And Hokusai is awesome, that print is also hanging on my wall but I'm thinkin about getting my sister-in-law to actually paint it for me. You should take a look at my Japanese art widget thinger, cool pictures are on there all the time!

RubyVillain said...

I would totally check out your Japanese art widget... but I hate to admit that I am somewhat computer illiterate and have no idea what a widget is. In fact, it's probably the first time I've even heard the word. I'll start clicking on things here and see if something cool happens. :)

As for names, Roman actually is very cute, and awesome job on connecting my choice of names to ones out there (i.e Jack = Jack Bauer). Very funny stuff. I think I've finally picked a name, but it is very popular right now (which I'm against) so I'm still figuring it out. Perhaps Roman it will be.