Monday, September 26, 2011

Shelob bit me.

Sooooooooooo two posts ago I discussed my mysterious visit to the ER. Several days ago I found the creature in the picture (below) in one of my shoes & then found a smattering of it's babies & egg sacs.... grossness. As I was hunting for more of the beasts my brother & sister-in-law summoned me upstairs & were laughing. Upon inquiry they informed me that they initially thought I was a hypochondriac for my hospital visit but whilst reading the signs & symptoms of a bite from a black widow they realized it fit the description of my past malady almost to a "t". They thought it was super funny that many times people that don't know they were bit are mistakenly diagnosed with appendicitis b/c of the similar symptoms (see two posts ago)  I've been super paranoid that I had cancer or lymes disease or something b/c I had never felt that weird/way before in my entire life.  I also happened to have a big red welt on my foot at the time I went to the ER so there's no question that the frickin thing bit me. Weird. I'm almost glad I didn't know what it was at the time b/c I would have gone mental. But it's actually a little comforting that this is what happened & not the other crappy things I thought it might be. Fact: I'm terrified of being bitten by things that can inject you with venom. If I got bit by a snake I would probably just die from terror. The fact that I didn't even know I was bitten by the stupid spider makes me feel a little bit better but at the same time I find myself systematically checking all around my bed & in my clothes before I even consider getting into them. And I check all my shoes every night. Paranoia has got its firm grip on me until I'm 1000% sure there are no more beasts in my lair. Something awesome: I know my body can pwn spider venom. It took a solid 3-4 days for the pain/main symptoms to go away & I felt funky for a while after but I really didn't have any nasty side effects or issues after that. After much research I realized that 1. I need to re-do the weather stripping on my door so zero insects can get in. 2. cooler weather makes creatures want to enter your cozy abode 3. black widows like moisture & cool places like shoes so always check your shoes 4. each black widow egg sack can hatch several hundred babies (I found 7 egg sacs... 5.5 were empty... I burned the rest & hunted down others but am now vigilantly executing daily search & destroy missions) 5. although the bite from these beasts is greatly feared I'd be more concerned about the brown recluse bite, they cause much more damage & can actually mess you up royally, the black widow bite isn't really ever deadly & most people have zero problems/scarring. Bottom line.. spiders are still freaky & I'm still a hater. And it's totally worth going & buying that spray or having the orkin man come in his robot suit to destroy insectoids for you. This will never happen again. and here's a picture of the actual momma black widow that was in my shoe.....
My brother is going to invest it in plaster then cast it in metal so I can have it forever in statue form & also rest assured that it's death was as uncomfortable as my time dealing with it's chemical cocktail.

No comments: